Sunday, October 5, 2008

Powerful words from a 10 year old....

After much drama over the last few weeks with friends at school (I will not go in to detail, but for those of you that know us you know what I am talking about, and if you don't know us then TRUST me it ain't even worth my typing what is it about because it is that stupid!) Avery has come up with something that I think is absolutely wonderful.

There is this little girl in her class named Kathrin. Avery has reached out to her from day one because everyone in her class is so mean to her! HATEFUL is more like it really! They say GROSS here comes Kathrin! Or Kathrin is so NASTY! They will even Kathrin stinks!!! Remember that when they say this they are very loud and obviously are making sure that she hears them. They will go as far as to scoot their desk clear across the room from her. One day Kathrin walked up to Avery's desk and placed her hand on it very lightly as she looked at Avery just waiting on Avery to say... get your hand off my desk or something else really mean, but Avery smiled at her and said hey Kathrin! Avery said that she wished I could have seen the look on her face.. She said that she let out a big sigh and just smiled a big smile of relief. Another day Avery said.. Oh, I love your new glasses Kathrin! She said.. Thank you Avery... no body has said that to me except for you and my mama. I don't think any one else speaks to hear. She sits all alone at lunch even! My heart aches for her.

Avery said mama she may not be able to help that she does not have the best clothes, or that she talks a little funny. She may not be able to help that she may be a little bit dirty, or that she is not like everyone else... It is what is on the inside that matters the most! When she opens up and talks to me she is so funny! She is so country talking, and she makes me smile! It makes me so mad that people are mean to her! It makes me a tingly inside when I talk to her and I can tell that it makes her happy! (WOW!)

Well, last night after Avery was talking to me about feeling left out by a couple of friends over the weekend... and she was telling me what one of her friends had done for another friend over the weekend she said mama I think Monday at school I am going to ask Kathrin if she wants to eat dinner with me. I told her that I thought that was wonderful idea! We are going to get up and make a duplicate lunch for Kathrin for her to take (since she always eats in the lunch room food everyday) Tomorrow she will dine on a fresh peanut butter and jelly sandwich, a bag of Doritos's, a fruit roll up and a Capri sun! And a note from me thanking her for being Avery's friend! Avery is so excited about all of this. (Avery does not know about the note!) I will let you know how it turns out!

I wish you could hear her telling Dalton about it!

(P.S. If you are reading this and YOUR daughter shared her story with Avery about what she had done for someone over the weekend... I am glad that your daughter thought enough of my daughter to tell her about it. Avery told her what a wonderful thing that was that she had done... Avery plans to share her good deed with your daughter too... wanna know WHY? Because she said that she is the only one of her friends that will understand what I am doing!)

8 comments:

Felicia said...

Why you gotta go and make me cry? We have got some special daughters, don't we?
Love ya!

Rosjuane said...

Man that is so awsome!! You know I had tears reading this. You want your kids to be popular at school, but what most don't understand is that popularity isn't being in the in croud it's that alot of people like you b/c you are so nice to be around.

If you've read Dean's blog about Madison then you know the story. But Avery's story really hit home about that, b/c it's people (kids especially) like her that will save someone from going through that. Kids and people in general don't think about the things that they say or do and how they affect others. Them kids that were making fun and being mean could have really cause some damage so much so that that little girl so young could have wanted to take her life. Parents should sit their kids down and explain that more often. Kids these days are HORRIBLE!!! Especially the "popular" ones.

RADstitches said...

Rosjuane,

I forgot to mention that after Lee came home tonight we were talking about this, and he is going to talk to her in the morning before school and WARN her about what some of her "friends" could say or how they could act to her about her doing this... she is planning on bringing her to her usual table with her usual friends. This may break some of her what she thought to be friendship UP... Avery WILL take up for Kathrin, so I am really looking forward to getting her from school tomorrow and see how it went. I am very proud of her for what she is doing.

I will go and read Dean's thingy later on what you were telling me about.

Laken said...

What a wonderful daughter you have. I can remember right back to the day when things were so hard in middle school and junior high. I wish there were more Avery's around!

Beth E. said...

Oh, this has affected me more than you know! I won't go into details, but I know firsthand what it is like to be young and in a classroom where children are teased because they are different. It is pure torment for those who are the targets of the emotional (and sometimes physical) abuse. Praise God for Avery! You are doing a great job teaching your children to have love and compassion for others.

Jenn_N_Luc said...

WOW! I am in tears reading about your daughter! You must be just sooo proud of her. I am so happy to see there are good kids who will stick up for other kids. Too sweet! Thanks for that post!

Pennington Posts said...

"I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me."
Matthew 18:3-5
Such a precious child!

Mom of these kids said...

Aww...Avery is so sweet....so proud of her. And proud of her momma for raising a daughter that would just KNOW how to be this thoughtful and caring.