Monday, October 27, 2008

How do you discipline your children?

How do you discipline your children? Do you spank? Do you talk to them? Do you take things away? Do you ALWAYS think they are in the right now matter what!??

I am just interested in the different ways that people discipline. I am NOT in need of advice. This is just a random question. And... yes, before you ask.. we DO spank. WE don't have to very often and when we do is a VERY long time before we have to again. You can say that we DO have our bluff in on our girls, and they know who is the boss int his house and that we mean business. We talk to them first.... then when needed the there is the dreaded trip to the bathroom. I am happy to say that our girls are very good almost all of the time, but when the limits have been pushed we give them a reality check. I see some children that literally run over their parents, and I just don't understand that.

6 comments:

Mom of these kids said...

Well...we don't spank anymore....but man, sometimes some people around here really need it!

Rosjuane said...

I do what ever works. I talk if it's small. Spank if it's big. Garret runs over me some but not Ashlyn. I pop him some but have learned that time-out work best with him. I mean he gets out of that chair in a whole diffrent mood. And I was never a time out mom with Ashlyn. I spanked and it was done, but with Garret most of his trouble is fits and spanking just makes him throw a bigger one.

Beth E. said...

When our boys were younger, we would occasionally spank...like you. Most of the time a stern word would cause tears and apologies. (They were very sensitive souls!) As they grew older, we found that taking away privileges worked quite well. Last year, our youngest, Bo, got a speeding ticket...we took away his license for two months (until his court date). Plus, just to emphasize the punishment, hubby Bill drove Bo to and from school every day in Bo's own car...that really made an impression. Because speeding is such a serious offense, Bill told Bo that if he's ever seen speeding again (even by our friends, not just the police), that Bill will SELL Bo's car.

I believe the important thing with raising/disciplining kids is, "Say what you mean - mean what you say." Be consistent, and follow through with consequences. Every child is different, so what works for one may not work for the other. Our methods have sometimes been quite imaginative...but always done with love.

Anonymous said...

It depends on what they have done,most of the time we take away things.Time out is a joke unless I want to physically restrain them.We rarely spank now,although I believe sometimes they absolutely NEED a good spanking.

Piece of Cake said...

Time out works best for my kids.

AJ Huffman said...

"How do you discipline your children? Do you spank? Do you talk to them? Do you take things away?"

Can you say all of the above? I talk to my son first, but most of the time he doesn't listen, then I start the "1....2....3....." that usually works, and I don't even have to get to 3. Don't get me wrong he's a great kid, but he is still a kid.