Thursday, April 9, 2009

Fishin at Papaw Robert's house...

Saturday afternoon we decided at the last minute to head over to papaw Robert's house. This Papaw Robert fellow is my daddy for those new readers out there. After a call to make sure that he was there.. we were quickly packed and were on our way! I have this thing about not liking to go there when he is not there... for one I have to cook when he is not there, but to go there to that empty house makes me think of what it will be like we something happens to him and I can't deal. So, any hoo.. Avery called about half of the way there and told him to be ready to go fishing....



We all put on our knee high rubber boots and take off! We have to wade in water up to our knees, but it was FUN!! Dalton was one of the first ones to catch a fish too! She was so excited.. I wish I would have had my video camera! There was a lot of OH, OH, OH... I got one! I got one! Help me! Help me! It was so funny! The second one that she caught rated higher than the larger one that she caught the first time. If you look REALLY close you can see "the little bitty fishy" that she caught! Any time she sees any kind of animal she starts talking in a little bitty vocie and tells us awww look how cute whatever is! In the above picture you can see Lee trying to BRIBE her to hold it. She was NOT liking that idea at all!


Then, she finally held it and she was like an old pro! When we were still out fishing Lee had put the fish in the bucket, and she was talking really loud in that little bitty voice and said... OH, look! It's flapping its wings! (It was swimming around in the water!)

She is so proud!



If it were up to my daddy he would have had it mounted for her. He got the biggest kick out of listening to her! Avery learned to throw for herself really good! But, that does not mean that she is completely maintenance free. Dalton on the other hand you have to get her set to reel it in and then she reels the line in like she is headed to a fire! It was really hard to get her to slow that down!




Here is my other fisher-woman! This is her holding her fish after her little sister talked her into it saying... Oh, come one Avery it is nothing!




Had to have a little group shot of the girls! (and their fishies!)







Now this fellow on the other hand was inside whipping up supper... 1 1/2" steaks! Have I ever told you he is the BOMB when it comes to cooking!?!?! He even had our steaks topped with jalapeno peppers this night. Normally, it is grilled mushrooms and onions, but I guess he is panning out. Avery requests his chicken and dumplings! They are to die for! These grilled steaks were great too!


We even woke up to pancakes with fresh blueberries that he had taken us to pick a few months before. The girls had to also have fried eggs and bacon. When they smell bacon they go... OH, smells like Papaw Robert's house! I am so thankful they they are able to have these memories already.

*** Post edited to add that we ate ALL the fish for dinner while at Papaws. Except for the itty bitty one that LEE said was too little to clean... so she threw it out with the guts of the ones that he did clean! Guess who found her little bitty fishy!?!?!? Yep! You should have heard her asking WHY we did not eat her little fishy! AND you should have heard her daddy explaining it to her! She actually asked me and papaw Robert and we said... GO ASK YOUR DADDY! LOL

13 comments:

Beth E. said...

You are a multi-talented gal..you are able to gross me out and then make me hungry, all in ONE POST! Touch a fish....ewwwww! Hearing about all of that delicious food your dad fixed...yummmmm!

Sounds like the girls had great fun. I'd go fishing with you, but I would NOT bait my own hook! Yuck.

Sounds like a great time!

Love ya...

Rosjuane said...

Dang you can't call a sister. Maybe I wanted to go fishin. I'm a pro you know. And whats up with Avery not eating that big ol crappie. I have a freezer she could have stored it in. You should get them so big ol cane poles!! LOL I can so see ya'll driving in from Crosset with the cane poles hanging out the window.

Anonymous said...

What sweet memories you are creating with your kids. I too think about the day my father is gone and it isn't something I can even comprehend! What a sweet time your girls are having. I am with the not wanting to hold the fish....its just not my thang lol.
What is it with gpas and cooking? My dad can bbq, grill, cook like no other. Making me hungry now. Have a Happy Easter

Pennington Posts said...

I know you are thankful for them being able to spend time with their Papaw and they are old enough that they will remember and they will always treasure these times. That was one of the hardest things for me when I lost my Daddy, Avery was only 2 and I knew that she was so young that she probably wouldn't remember him. She doesn't, but we do have pictures and we talk about him and that keeps his memory alive in our hearts.
The good thing about you is that you take lots of pictures too and you know what the old Chinese proverb says "A picture is worth a thousand words" How true, how true.
We are ready to do some fishing too. Craig has been but it has been toooo cold for me and Avery #2. Won't be long though.

Sandy said...

oh how sweet the memories will be for them when we are all gone on before them. I always say it is the lil things in life like the fishing and mud that kids will remember more than a present with a high price attached. Your daddy seems to really enjoy the moments when you guys visit. Hope you all enjoyed your fish.

Me The Q said...

Way to go Dalton catching fish like a pro! It is so nice that they have such a great relationship with their Grandfather.

Our Journey said...

Those are my kind of girls--fishin!! But I have to say-- I do wear gloves the whole time I am fishing! I do not like to touch the bait or the fish :) and I wonder why my daddy is embarassed to fish with me! haha!!

Happy Easter to you too!! glad I can make you feel better for not blogging very often-- I am wayyy behind!! I need to do that soon!! haha! Hope yall have a good one!!

melanie, aka Mo said...

Dalton is looking so big! She looks a lot like Avery now! I bet y'all are getting it going on ball season. We surely are!

The buckets were at the Target Dollar Spot, I think. Staci bought about 100 for her Easter egg hunt, but never used any of them in case you reaalllly need one in the future. I saw them sitting in her closet. SHe is psycho! melanie

Jenn_N_Luc said...

Awe...what great memories! I used to fish with my papaw in the pond at their house when I was little. Your little ones will remember that forever!

Awe...well, NOW you are making me miss my papaw! :-)

snekcip said...

My mouth is watering, your dad sounds like an awesome cook! What a GEM!

I couldn't EVER get the FISHING thing down, one site of worms and I would literally hyperventilate! I can't even stand those BLOWUP thingies that be in front of the stores (you know the ones, that has a fan and it flops back/forth)! The things look like giant worms!! I have a weird phobia about them seriously (LOL)

Sandy said...

where are you-- you have not blogged since 4/9 that is a looong time ago!!come on I need to read your story

Anonymous said...

We go fishin at my dads house too.My son caught his first fish last go around,he was SO excited.

Those steaks look yummy and blueberry pancakes,now my stomach is growling.

Jenny Sipes said...

Where have you been lately! been missing ya!!